Benefits of a Dog-Friendly Work Environment
October 28, 2015
Last week the Switchboard team welcomed a new addition: Hogan, a rescue puppy and our new mascot. Hogan brings excitement, laughter, and bucketloads of cuteness to our office and reflects our ethos of a flexible and friendly work environment.
At Switchboard we believe in the benefits of having a dog-friendly workplace. Here are five advantages of having our furry friends around the office:
- Dogs can help decrease stress levels. When team members are under a lot of stress, having a dog around can lighten the mood and improve well being in the workplace, resulting in healthier and happier employees! Several studies have shown that simply petting a dog can increase levels of the stress-reducing hormone oxytocin and decrease production of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Dogs are a great prompt for workplace interactions. Having the furry friends around are a great conversation starter and can strengthen relationships among colleagues.
- Dogs make for great Instagram content. Well, who wouldn’t like a puppy photo! There’s a reason #dogsofinstagram has been used about a trillion times.
- Dogs are a great way to greet clients who also love dogs. This being said, it’s important to keep pet etiquette in mind. Make sure you know which clients love animals and which would rather not interact with them in a professional context. Also, it’s important to have a pet-free zone for people who are allergic or uncomfortable around dogs.
- Dogs can increase productivity. By having a dog present in the workplace, you have a valid reason to take a well-deserved mental break! Counter to popular opinion (and practice), occasional mental breaks from work allow individuals to work more efficiently, ensuring that employees are working smart and not just hard.
Next Post:What would T-Swift do?