Seven Vancouver Staples to Boost Company Culture
August 29, 2016
At Switchboard we work hard to champion employee engagement and positive company culture. We use a number of tools to do this, both in-house and for clients. When we manage corporate events, business leaders often ask for go-to activities for strengthening teams and boosting morale. Do your team a favour, and skip the compulsory Hawaiian shirt day! Here are eight gems from our beautiful home-town.
- The Grouse Grind. If your company is looking to build supportive relationships and to promote a healthy lifestyle, the Grouse Grind is a classic. Let’s be honest – this climb is aggressive. In fact, it is often referred to as “mother nature’s stairmaster” and has been given a “difficult” level rating from popular B.C. hiking websites. Arriving at the top is an invigorating physical accomplishment, making it a great opportunity for team bonding. Keep in mind that this shouldn’t come as a surprise activity to anyone involved. Those with health considerations should be given ample time to prepare and opt out if necessary.
- Foodie Tours. Oh, to have the life of a full-time foodie… To get a taste of what it’s like to be a connoisseur, Vancouver Foodie Tours will take teams on guided tours through a collection of the city’s best restaurants. Since fine food has universal appeal, foodie tours are a no-brainer way to reward a hard-working team for a job well done (or for making it through a grueling project). Be sure to address allergies beforehand as the team should bond over sampling tapas, not learning how to use an EpiPen.
- Brewery Tours. Team outings to the local breweries allow people to learn something new while socializing in a casual environment. For a day on the town, consider doing a circuit with Vancouver Brewery Tours. To avoid the logistical chaos of planning an excursion with a large team, consider inviting a craft beer guru, like a certified Cicerone from the “Barley’s Angels,” to your place of work for an in-house tasting session.
- Urban Scavenger Hunt. This urban scavenger hunt for young-at-heart adults is filled with clues and challenges that take you on a journey throughout downtown Vancouver. It’s a great way to see the city and engage in a little friendly competition with your workmates.
- Escape Rooms. An Escape Room is a live, interactive game where your team works with puzzles, quizzes and a collection of clues to get out of a confined area. Escape Rooms test your intellect, will, creativity and passion as a team. Choose from several located in the Lower Mainland and get ready for an innovative and intense experience.
- Kayak in Deep Cove. The ineffable feeling of parking your stresses at the shore is what draws such a range of people toward kayaking. Deep Cove is one of Vancouver’s most scenic locations, particularly when enjoyed from the water. In addition to kayak rentals, Deep Cove Kayak offers stand-up paddleboarding and surf-skiing, for an experience that’s as diverse as your team.
- Corporate Retreat. Why not turn the weekend getaway into a team experience? Eagle Valley Retreat is a seven-acre property, located in a beautiful setting just outside Whistler. The retreat is set up for customized events where groups can expand upon skills, build stronger relationships and share their vision for your business. Eagle Valley offers a variety of outdoor team-building exercises as well as individual cleanses and personal rejuvenation opportunities.