Media Relations Specialist
Switchboard Public Relations (Switchboard) helps innovators, technologists and change makers create positive impact by driving communication strategies that generate meaningful results. With industry expertise, a passion for technology and a solid list of influential relationships across North America and beyond, we make things happen. We are a full-service agency offering media relations, issues management, community intelligence reporting, media training, and stakeholder relations.
Over the last five years, Switchboard’s rapid growth has seen us expand our office in Vancouver, British Columbia, add consultants across Canada and develop a dedicated network of affiliates in the US. We bring together the best and brightest team for each client’s needs and embed ourselves in their team as trusted advisors and communications coaches.
The agency is growing and looking to add a Media Relations Specialist to the team with five to ten years of agency experience. We’re currently working from home, while seamlessly maintaining our collaborative culture. The work pace is fast, and we require a detail-oriented, ultra-organized, data driven and motivated candidate who loves to work with innovators, industry experts and media to share stories and make headlines.
What we’re looking for:
- A news junkie with media relations success. You have a strong network of media relationships, in-depth knowledge of the media ecosystem and extensive experience to know how to connect to craft and sell in pitches, pivoting angles as needed. News jacking is your passion
- Strong track record of client management and leadership. You can confidently act as strategic counsel to guide clients while also managing day-to-day media relations/media requests for brand and corporate issues
- Strong writing, communication, and interpersonal skills. You’ll need to be comfortable interacting with senior management and high-profile clients
- Superior project management. Tracking budgets, implementing and measuring external and internal media-based communication plans and deliverables is second-nature to you
- Dynamic self-starter. Ability to work autonomously on multiple projects simultaneously while effectively prioritizing and hitting your deadlines and KPIs
- In the know. Understanding and awareness of the technology landscape and government relations which affect it, provincially, nationally and internationally
- PR rock star with can-do attitude. High energy, enthusiasm, and sense of humour with a zeal for all-things technology
- This position is remote and open for applicants from Canada and the US
These days, technology makes the world go round, and tech is our speciality. We’re Switchboard, a strategic communications advisor working with tech-enabled companies and organizations of all sizes, types, and stages of maturity. Whether they’re building the technology themselves, leveraging existing solutions to their advantage, or working to boost Canada’s innovation ecosystem, they’re part of the future economy—and we’re here to help get them where they want to go. Call us idealists, but we’re here to create positive change in our communities and the world.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates, please send your resume and cover letter to Leslie Hayden, Director of Public Relations at Switchboard at [email protected] with the Subject Line: Media Relations Specialist.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.